Re: [Condor-users] Suggestion for change in behaviour for windows Requirements. Was :RE: Problem Submitting Jobs in windows

Actually, while we're talking about OpSys limitations: how about some distinctions automatically made for Linux systems? I have to define custom AlteraOperatingSystem and AlteraArchitecture attributes on my machines to tell the difference between a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 on 32-bit Intel machine and a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on AMD 64-bit machine. You could use OpSysFamily as Matt suggests and set that to LINUX and then use OpSys to list the *specific* Linux version and distro used.

- Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Hope
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:16 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: [Condor-users] Suggestion for change in behaviour for windows Requirements. Was :RE: Problem Submitting Jobs in windows

I would suggest that, based on the number of times this is asked, the
number of times a job is dependent on a specific version of windows
(heck the number of times it is dependent even on a _minimum_ version of
windows) that this automatic behaviour on windows is NOT a good default.

I suggest that all supported platforms gain a new Attrbute OpSysFamily
For all currently supproted windows releases this would simply be WINNT
(vista hasn't changed enough to merit a distinction, windows 7 certainly
doesn't).
The default behaviour for the Requirements should be that:
If OpSys is specified anywhere in the requirements
    do not nothing
Else If OpSysFamily is specified anywhere in the requirements
    do nothing
Else If OpSysFamily is defined in the config
    add '&& (OpSysFamily == "$OpSysFamily")' to the requirements
Else
    current behaviour i.e. add '&& (OpSys == "$OpSys")'

On windows installs from a 7.odd number release onwards begin including
OpSysFamily in the default config file

If there are a large number of windows users who *don't* want this
behaviour that's fair enough.

If OpSysFaily becomes useful it can be used for other ports. I would
suggest that the standard universe ignores it but I have insufficient
experience in that to know how well standard universes can transition
the sort of version shift that would constitute a change in the OpSys
value anyway.

Matt