Re: [Condor-users] Suggestion for change in behaviour for windows Requirements. Was :RE: Problem Submitting Jobs in windows

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:15:41PM -0000, Matt Hope wrote:
> I would suggest that, based on the number of times this is asked, the
> number of times a job is dependent on a specific version of windows
> (heck the number of times it is dependent even on a _minimum_ version of
> windows) that this automatic behaviour on windows is NOT a good default.
>
> I suggest that all supported platforms gain a new Attrbute OpSysFamily
> For all currently supproted windows releases this would simply be WINNT
> (vista hasn't changed enough to merit a distinction, windows 7 certainly
> doesn't).
> The default behaviour for the Requirements should be that:
> If OpSys is specified anywhere in the requirements
>     do not nothing
> Else If OpSysFamily is specified anywhere in the requirements
>     do nothing
> Else If OpSysFamily is defined in the config
>     add '&& (OpSysFamily == "$OpSysFamily")' to the requirements
> Else
>     current behaviour i.e. add '&& (OpSys == "$OpSys")'

A quick and dirty way of accomplishing this would be to add:

APPEND_REQ_VANILLA = (OpSys =!= UNDEFINED) && (TARGET.CondorPlatform =?= "$CondorPlatform: INTEL-WINNT50 $")

To the condor_config of your machines that submit jobs to Windows.

This will prevent Condor from adding a constraint on "OpSys" and run
your jobs on any machine with the Windows version of Condor (they all
seem to have the same string for "CondorPlatform").

I realize this isn't a generic solution, but the "OpSysFamily" would
need to be thought out better in regards to how to support machines
that submit to both Windows and Linux (and other unix flavors).

--
Daniel K. Forrest		Space Science and
dan.forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx	Engineering Center