Re: [Condor-users] condor_status -direct hostname : why can't I use IP number instead of hostname?

Hello,

The use of "-direct" actually doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem.

So, what else can I say than showing what I get on my Linux master PC:

$ condor_status

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot1@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.000  1010  0+01:15:04
slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.000  1010  0+01:15:05
pm37               WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.030  1023  0+00:10:17

$ condor_status slot1@23-4

$ condor_status slot2@23-4

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.000  1010  0+01:15:05

$ condor_status 23-4
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status "23-4"
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status pm37
condor_status: unknown host pm37

=======================================

Then you may say there's no useful relation between the IP and the daemon name,
but I can make the last three commands work by adding an entry in the /etc/hosts
file on the Linux master:
  10.1.1.37        pm37
  10.1.1.40       23-4

Then:

$ condor_status 23-4

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot1@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.050  1010  0+00:00:04
slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.000  1010  0+00:00:05

$ condor_status pm37

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

pm37               WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.210  1023  0+00:00:04

What should I conclude from this? Any ideas?

I hope there's no condor version conflict:
  Linux master: condor 7.2.1
  Windows pool PCs: condor 7.2.4

Thanks,
Rob.