Re: [Condor-users] condor_status -direct hostname : why can't I useIP number instead of hostname?

> $ condor_status -direct slot2@23-4
>
> Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity
> LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime
>
> slot1@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.080
>  1010  0+00:29:52
> slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.000
>  1010  0+00:29:52
>
> $ condor_status -direct pm37
> condor_status: unknown host pm37
>
> At least there's an inconsistency here.
> Why does "slot1@23-4" and "slot2@23-4" work, but "pm37" doesn't ?

> However, when I add on the linux master PC an entry in /etc/hosts:
>
> 10.1.1.35  pm37
>

> Then
> $ condor_status -direct pm37
>
> Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity
> LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime
>
> pm37               WINNT51    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.020
>  1023  0+00:09:08
>

> Is there a way I can get the last command work, without the
> need of modifying /etc/hosts ?

Your pm37 machine either isn't in DNS or the full hostname, including
the domain name, doesn't match whatever you have in set for
DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME in your condor_config file.

If you just give condor a hostname it'll tack on DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME and
try to find that fully qualified name in its list of hosts. You need to
make sure pm37's fully qualified domain name matches
pm37.$DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME. Alternativily you can give condor_status the
fully qualified hostname:

condor_status -direct pm37.foo.bar.your.domain.com

> And again: why can't I use the IP number after the "-direct" ?
> Most Windows PCs in my pool do not have a proper hostname,
> but always have an unique IP number....

Condor is quite strict about hostnames and IPs when it comes to
accessing the system. It really doesn't behave well if a hostname <-> IP
can't be resolved fowards and backwards (so hostname -> IP matches IP ->
hostname lookup). When you do -direct it still talks to your central
server to figure out how to contact the machine -- it needs to know what
port Condor is listening on on that machine and only the collector holds
that information. The only time it doesn't have to do this (IIRC) is if
you hostname localhost.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.