Re: [Condor-users] condor_status hostname : why can't I use IPnumber instead of hostname?

> Now in my case all public library PCs typically have this
> type of configuration
> (from the 'ipconfig /all' output):
>   Host Name.... : pm37
>   Primary Dns Suffix...:
>   Node Type...: Unknown
>   IP Routing Enabled...: No
>   WINS Proxy Enabled....: No

What does this look like for your pm10 multi-core machine?

> Given two Windows pool PCs with similar network
> configurations like above;
> one is multi core (hostname: pm10), the other single core
> (hostname: pm37).
>
> Then condor_status can easily resolve the dual core PC when I add the
> "slot<n>@" to the hostname. Condor_status then miraculously
> finds the PC
> without a glitch:  "condor_status slot1@pm10" works just great!
>
> The single core PC does not have a "slot<n>@" in its name;
> then condor_status
> cannot find this PC: "condor_status pm37" fails with "unknown
> host pm37"

...snip...

> I found a workaround:
> add an entry   "123.45.67.89  pm37" into the /etc/hosts of my
> Linux master PC.
> But I consider this a bad solution.

This all smacks of pm10 being properly configured for DNS resolution and
pm37 being mis-configured. And yes, that's a lousy solution.

> I think condor_status should behave the same for multi and
> single core PCs.

If DNS is setup properly: it does.

> It's very annoying that it only works for multi core PCs,
> because they accidentally
> have the "slot<n>@" in their names....

Doubtful this is a bug. Lets see if pm10 and pm37 are really configured
the same way. From your condor collector can you resolve both machines
both ways?

For example, in my pool:

> nslookup pg-sw143
Server:         137.57.137.2
Address:        137.57.137.2#53

Name:   pg-sw143.altera.priv.altera.com
Address: 137.57.104.171

> nslookup 137.57.104.171
Server:         137.57.137.2
Address:        137.57.137.2#53

171.104.57.137.in-addr.arpa     name = pg-sw143.altera.com.
171.104.57.137.in-addr.arpa     name = pg-sw143.altera.priv.altera.com.

You can see that my Windows machine has two names associated with it.
The ".altera.priv" is from some silly Windows nameserver thing. The
".altera.com" one make sure I can do shortname lookups in my pools where
the DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME= "altera.com".

And ahat does this command output for your pm37 and pm10 machines:

        condor_status -f "%s\n" machine

As you can see, just the hostname works a-okay in my pools for
single-slot, Windows machines:

> condor_status -const "TotalSlots ==1"

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem
ActvtyTime

pg-abc             LINUX      X86_64 Owner     Idle     0.320  7857
6+08:36:47
pg-negotiator.alte LINUX      X86_64 Owner     Idle     0.410  7857
17+15:12:44
pg-schedd1.altera. LINUX      X86_64 Owner     Idle     0.270  7857
17+15:31:29
pg-sw143.altera.pr WINNT52    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.110  8125
0+17:06:12
pg-sw160.altera.pr WINNT52    INTEL  Claimed   Retiring 0.330  8125
0+02:25:29

                     Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting
Backfill

       INTEL/WINNT52     2     1       1         0       0          0
0
        X86_64/LINUX     3     3       0         0       0          0
0

               Total     5     4       1         0       0          0
0

> condor_status pg-sw143

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem
ActvtyTime

pg-sw143.altera.pr WINNT52    INTEL  Owner     Idle     0.030  8125
0+17:07:12

                     Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting
Backfill

       INTEL/WINNT52     1     1       0         0       0          0
0

               Total     1     1       0         0       0          0
0

> May I qualify this as buggy behaviour of condor_status?

I don't think so. But I don't work for the U. Wisc. :) Up to them.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.