Is your application IO bound? CPU bound? Does it perform many network operations? Is it compiled to take advantage of any particular hardware feature like advanced media processing instructions or loop unrolling?

- Ian

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-04-14, at 8:47 AM, Chris Freemesser <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/13/10 3:59 PM, Erik Paulson wrote:
Is your benchmark:

A) The same program as your Condor job
B) Operating on the realistic data, ideally actual data?

There should be virtually no difference between running a program
through Condor on a machine and logging into that machine and running
it by hand. Anything other than that may or may not be a useful
predictor of performance.

I initially benchmarked the two machines using GeekBench. The old Opteron-based machine scored 3323, the new i7 machine scored 7971.

After I put the new node into service, I had one of my users submit four identical jobs...two to the new node, two to an old node. The i7-based machine finished in ~100 hours, the Opteron-based machine finished in ~120 hours. This is obviously not the result I was expecting.

The Core i7 processor has a number of new technologies in it, and my initial thought was that one of these technologies may be causing problems. That's why I asked if anybody else is using i7's, just to see if others are getting similar results.

Chris

Chris Freemesser, University of Rochester
Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences /
Center for Visual Science
Meliora Hall, Room 244
E-Mail: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  (585)275-0786