From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Freemesser
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:48 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Intel Core i7 processors?

On 4/13/10 3:59 PM, Erik Paulson wrote:
> Is your benchmark:
>
> A) The same program as your Condor job
> B) Operating on the realistic data, ideally actual data?
>
> There should be virtually no difference between running a program
> through Condor on a machine and logging into that machine and running
> it by hand. Anything other than that may or may not be a useful
> predictor of performance.

I initially benchmarked the two machines using GeekBench.  The old
Opteron-based machine scored 3323, the new i7 machine scored 7971.

After I put the new node into service, I had one of my users submit four
identical jobs...two to the new node, two to an old node.  The i7-based machine
finished in ~100 hours, the Opteron-based machine finished in ~120 hours.  This
is obviously not the result I was expecting.

The Core i7 processor has a number of new technologies in it, and my initial
thought was that one of these technologies may be causing problems.  That's why
I asked if anybody else is using i7's, just to see if others are getting
similar results.

Chris

Chris Freemesser, University of Rochester
Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences /
Center for Visual Science
Meliora Hall, Room 244
E-Mail: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  (585)275-0786