Re: [Condor-users] GPU and condor?

Hi there,

thanks for your idea, that's really what we'd like to setup - the schema you sent in first email is also in our minds.

However, I was just curious, if someone else started to do anything about that. Thung-Han, is there anything more "public visible" of your work for good reference, e.g. what hw do you use, how do you make data move, what is size of data you process on gpu(s)?
Sounds interesting if you have in your condor pool more than 64 gpus...

I've designed simple topology what is our scope of interest. First, build standalone condor pool with just gpus and then based on classads force the pool have gpus and cpus as well for different types of jobs (cpu intensive or gpu intensive).

If there is anything you might offer in order to give us ideas how to proceed, that'll be great.

Our initial hw setup will look like as follows (this is about to be purchased in the following week):
1) central head node (schedd, col/neg): any xeon machine
2) user interface for job submission: no need for too strong machine
3) 5x worker nodes: 2x Opteron Quad Core model, 2x nVIDIA GTX295, 32GB RAM, that there is 4GB per core
   - we'd like to build such workers in 4U chasis

I've read several reviews, benchmarks, but still not sure what exact way to go with HW of worker nodes, this setup sounds to us most acceptable as cheap solutions and maintainable by our local hw experts... Also, there is lot of questions of power consumption, etc... but that's what we will measure just when the infrastructure is on the place, it's gonna be experiment we want develop by self-grown evolution from the user needs. For now, GTX295 sound sufficient enough, just the cluster environment is big need and still missing. Hope, that condor software might help to our people.

I appreciate any useful direction in advance if somebody can offer other advice.

Thanks,
Marian

Tung-Han Hsieh wrote:
Hello Xiang Ni,

Actually we did not do anything to make condor aware of the existence of GPUs.
What we have done is simple and somewhat stupid: That is, hard coded.

Let me post a condor setting in one of our computing node, so that you may be
clear about our implimentation:

DAEMON_LIST = MASTER, STARTD
NETWORK_INTERFACE = 192.168.2.123
NODE_ID  = 122
NUM_CPUS = 2
MTYPE    = "GPU_2G"
NETTYPE  = "GB"
N_HWCPUS = 2
STARTD_ATTRS = "$(COLLECTOR_HOST)", NODE_ID, MTYPE, NETTYPE, N_HWCPUS

This is the local condor config. file of 192.168.2.123 node. In this node we installed 2 GPUs with model GTX-285, each has 2GB GPU memory. So we define a new attribute "MTYPE" which has the value "GPU_2G", and force condor to believe that this node has 2 GPUs
(actually, condor thinks that it has 2 CPUs) by setting NUM_CPUS=2.

Therefore, if you want to mix machines, some has GPUs and some do not, then in our simple implimentation we will just set different values of MTYPE in each machines, and ask user to specify the "Requirement" in their condor command file, in order to submit
their jobs to the correct group of nodes.

Using this way, probably any standard condor distribution can be used in a GPU cluster.

Cheers,

T.H.Hsieh