Re: [Condor-users] java universe, how to configure jvm location?

-----Original Message-----
From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob de Graaf
Sent: 04 June 2010 00:18
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] java universe, how to configure jvm location?

> Out of curiosity, is the system32\java.exe the way to go here? I'm used
> to /usr/bin/java pointing to whatever version or alternative the local
> system happens to have installed. Is this similar?

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/1+Java+Install#1JavaInstall-WhyJAVAHOMEdoesnotworkonWindows

IIRC In windows post SUN taking over the JVM again the java executable in system32 will punt things to the registry defined JVM (though there may be a difference depending on whether the JDK or JRE is installed).

This basically means the last version installed for most people.

If you care as an admin of a box you could alter the path so that java comes from somewhere other than system32 (though that won't stop people who directly reference it via System32).

If you're wanting to allow execution of 64bit and 32 bit jvms then it will all get a bit more complex again.

Matt

----
Gloucester Research Limited believes the information provided herein is reliable. While every care has been taken to ensure accuracy, the information is furnished to the recipients with no warranty as to the completeness and accuracy of its contents and on condition that any errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action.
The information in this email is intended only for the named recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately and do not copy, distribute or take action based on this e-mail.
All messages sent to and from this email address will be logged by Gloucester Research Ltd and are subject to archival storage, monitoring, review and disclosure.
Gloucester Research Limited, 5th Floor, Whittington House, 19-30 Alfred Place, London WC1E 7EA.
Gloucester Research Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 04267560.
----