Re: [Condor-users] VMware universe

To be honest I haven't yet tested how to get the start up files in to the vmware machine, but I thought there was a command in the submit file you could use? vm_cdrom_files = a.txt,b.txt,c.txt where this would create a CD image taht is loaded on to the VMware machine when it runs?

so I could have a sumit file such as
universe = vm executable = MATJOBS (this is simple a name isn't it is has no effect on the job running?) log = simple.vm.log.txt vm_type = vmware vm_memory = 64 vmware_dir = C:\condor-test vm_cdrom_files = a$(PROCESS).txt,b$(PROCESS).txt vmware_should_transfer_files = True queue =20

so each run of the job uses the same vmmware image but different inputs as specified by the cdrom files? or is this not how it works?

As for the pre-staging its nice to know its in the pipe line, my idea was that the first time a client recives a VM job it coopies over the VMware images. Condor then tags this image with the queue number(unique to that specifice queue) and master server ID.

when the job has completed and the results are returned/schedule updated on the master, the client/master checks if there are still any more jobs in that queue, if so the image is kept, if not it is removed from the client. The client could then take on a new job as normal, after ever run it cheks if the vm que still has jobs and once it is empty deleted the image.

because you may want to have other jobs run in-between VM ware jobs (some one submits a high priority task), idealy you would want

wipe vm-ware ware image on job completion,
wipe vm-ware image if job queue changes (so if it dosn't follow on with a second job from the same queue, the image is deleted and re-downloaded if needed later on)
wipe vm-ware image if queue empty
never wipe VM-ware image (ie if it is a image you are going to come back to again and again but with possible long delays between jobs)

Just my ideas but look forward to seeing how this will work, Wish I had a bit more developmment background and not just networking as I would love to be able to get stuck in and help out on this project more.