Re: [Condor-users] Looking for something like CpuBusy for Disk

Burnett, Ben wrote:
True, startd cron's can (and have) been used to do all sorts of
things - but I haven't seen one applied to do host-level
concurrency limits (successfully).  The "cron"/timeperiod nature
makes doing resource counters unsafe for resource reservation.  Do
you have an example of one of those, or is it (like I currently
believe) a gap in functionality that you end up having to build up
custom slot types around to handle?

For instance, say I have a SAN-attached host and want to enable no
more than 3 concurrent SAN IO jobs while also enabling other job
types. Today I'd have to set up a special partitionable slot with a
SAN attribute and start expression to only allow SAN jobs and do
something like dedicating 3 CPU's and some amount of RAM towards
that partitionable slot.  Or make 3 SAN slots with dedicated memory
resources.  And then add a partitionable slot for all remaining
CPU, memory, and local disk resourcse.  There's no way to apply a
"SAN" resource counter, and no way to alter the number "3" live
based on actual SAN link utilization or storage subsystem latency.
Right?

This may be what you are looking for, "3.13.14 Concurrency Limits": http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.5/3_13Setting_Up.html#SECTION0041314000000000000000

Thanks. That's for job-level concurrency limits appropriate for things like license metering, DAGman group fanout limiting, etc. - not host-level resource limits for things like specialized IO, GPU's, or node-locked licenses.

-- Lans Carstensen