From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kevin.Buckley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 3 February 2011 11:23 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Help with ClassAd syntax: offset $(process)
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

> I am trying to offset $(process) and append it to my file name to be
> transferred, i.e TransferInputFiles =
> C:\CondorInputFiles\$$([$(process)+1])_input.in, but I keep getting an

> error on submit:

> Hello.  I'll preface this by saying that I'm a relatively new user to
> Condor.  That said, I don't see anything in the manual that suggests
> that the '+' will be interpreted as an addition operation.  I also
> looked through the source code where it parses submit file lines and I

> don't see anything in the code that suggests that or allows for
> addition operators in another way either.  There may be a way, but I'm

> not seeing it.
>
> Can you run a trivial instance for the first job?  You would use Queue

> 11, where 0_input.in would hold a "blank".  Not the most elegant
> solution, but it would accomplish moving the relevant runs to begin
> with process 1.

Are you sure the syntax is

  $$([$(process)+1])

The example in the manual says

  The syntax appears as:

  $$([ClassAd expression])

and the example given is:

  In the submit description file will be

  arguments=--memory $$([TARGET.Memory * 0.9])

suggesting that, if it can be done, you should be using:

  $$([Process + 1])

without the extra $() around Process.

My other suggestion would be to create a parallel directory of links to
the input files where the link names match what you appear to need and
the link target matches what a program that could handle "start from 0"
would just use without issue.

I should say that I have not tried either of the above.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971