Re: [Condor-users] Question about using Condor in a non-Grid environment

On Jul 19, 2012, at 9:43 PM, <Jan_Seidel@xxxxxxxx>
 <Jan_Seidel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Condor in this case should only manage the resources and kick off the jobs once the required nodes are available. I'm not sure if that's a typical use case of Condor, though.

So it's an n-way dependency.  The clients won't start unless all of the server slots are available.  The servers won't start until all of the client slots are available.  Condor's scheduler does not handle this scenario.

DAGMan comes in when you need to run jobs more linearly.  You use a DAG when jobs B through E depend on the results of job A.  The problem for you is that DAGMan will not start jobs B through E until job A is finished.  You can't use a DAG like this to start the server jobs and client jobs in lock-step.  I'm sure someone can figure out a way to make it fit, but thinking in terms of making it fit is a strong indicator that Condor isn't the tool that you need.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science