Re: [Condor-users] Does condor consider the system load in matching Ads?

On Tuesday, 11 September, 2012 at 10:07 AM, 钱晓明 wrote:
Hello, I just focus on job schedule system, and there are three questions I can not figure out:

1. Does condor consider the system load, such as the CPU and memory usage in matching Ads?  If it does, which algorithm it use?
It can if you want it to. And what it does largely depends on how you configure it. For example, I can stop jobs from executing on a  machine when non-Condor load is high. Here is a simple example: http://blog.cyclecomputing.com/2010/11/make-the-most-of-your-aws-instances-using-open-source-condor-to-harvest-cycles-part-2.html
2. Does condor schedule more than one jobs to same machine at the same time because that many jobs can not utilize all CPUs in its execution?
Yes. You can statically partition your machine in to slots and Condor will fill all the slots on the machine as long as their are jobs in the queue that can be matched to the slots. Or you can configure the slots to be dynamic and Condor will keep sub-dividing the machine among jobs until it runs out of resources to satisfy any remaining jobs in the queue.
3. How condor support GPU and CUDA version requirements?
Most using GPUs tend to tie a specific slot on their machine to be for "a GPU job" since it's rare to a job that's 100% GPU bound. And then they just preempt non-GPU jobs if they happen to be in that slot and a GPU job is waiting in the queue so there's no starvation on GPU jobs.

Regards,
- Ian

--
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools
888.292.5320

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing