Re: [HTCondor-users] condor on debian wheezy

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:00:50PM -0500, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
> On 5/28/2013 12:42 PM, kris kvilekval wrote:
> >
> >I noticed that wheezy is not listed. Any chance you will update since it
> >is now the official stable.
> >
> >http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/debian/development/dists/
> >

> Note that HTCondor v7.8.x is in the official debian wheezy distro.  See
>    http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/condor
>
> So you should be able to install HTCondor on debian wheezy by just doing
>    sudo apt-get install condor
>

> The HTCondor packages included with wheezy are
> condor (7.8.2~dfsg.1-1+deb7u1)
>     distributed workload management system
> condor-dbg (7.8.2~dfsg.1-1+deb7u1)
>     distributed workload management system - debugging symbols
> condor-dev (7.8.2~dfsg.1-1+deb7u1)
>     distributed workload management system - development files
> condor-doc (7.8.2~dfsg.1-1+deb7u1)
>     distributed workload management system - documentation

7.8.2 is a bit on the old side, but there's a 7.8.7~dfsg.1 build
available in Sid (which is installable in a Wheezy environment, and
supposed to work - Jan 11 was just too late to get it included into
the yet [deep] frozen release).

For those living on the bleeding edge, and to speed up getting "stable"
into production:
What about building (ht)condor packages for the next stable a.k.a. testing
distro, in development at least?
I'd be very happy to test the latest 7.9.x(+) in a wheezy and/or jessie
environment even at a very early stage - this would eventually save the
"another 8 months" (although at the moment it feels like winter is already
here) until a Condor version for Debian Stable becomes available.
What does the Condor Team think about that?

> Note that the Debian wheezy repackage of HTCondor does not include
> every single job universe like the builds coming out of UW do (in
> wheezy the standard universe and a few of the grid types are not
> included), but by pushing HTCondor downstream directly into the
> Debian distro hopefully it will make things easier for a lot of
> sites.

Better a clipped port than none at all.

What's a bit confusing at the moment is the two version numbering schemes -
the deb package in the official repo (due to the "~") _always_ has a lower
version than the one in UWisc's repo. (The longer I think about it:
this might be fully intentional, indeed...)

Cheers,

Steffen Grunewald * Cluster Admin * steffen.grunewald(*)aei.mpg.de
MPI f. Gravitationsphysik (AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
http://www.aei.mpg.de/ * ------- * +49-331-567-{fon:7274,fax:7298}