Re: [HTCondor-users] change to condor_submit - user feedback desired! (was Re: multiple condor_submit's - one cluster)

* On 06 Feb 2015, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Honestly, I don't particularly like the stdin-style approaches because, when debugging, it's a little less apparent on how to reproduce because you don't see what users gave you; it is more unix-y though!
>
> I dislike it, as well, but for a different reason. The more you have
> to do things outside of the submit file, the more like writing a
> script it becomes. If the idea is to make it so that unsophisticated
> users can more easily submit this types of workloads, we should avoid
> making them write a script.

I thought the focus was to extend capabilities for more advanced users
(e.g. Don).  Agree it should be simple for novices, but adding a
capability for non-novices doesn't conflict with that, nor with the idea
of a for/foreach.

> I'm inclined to favor Todd's proprosal #1. The foreach versus for x in
> [list] distinction is somewhat irrelevant. The former is more familiar
> to csh users, the latter to bash and similar. I actually prefer
> foreach slightly just because it simplifies the syntax. But in any
> case, so long as it is clear, either works.

for vs. foreach is unimportant, but my meaning was that it's desirable
to be able to declare the name of the symbol rather than having it
automatically become "$(file)".  For...in is a more attractive grammar
for that, since it already exists in both bourne shell and python.
Foreach, where it already exists and where it has a symbol declaration,
also requires parentheses.  That's why I changed the suggestion: to
eliminate useless orthography while keeping the overall syntax familiar.

--
       David Champion â dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx â University of Chicago