Re: [HTCondor-users] change to condor_submit - user feedback desired! (was Re: multiple condor_submit's - one cluster)

On 02/11/2015 12:42 PM, Carl Edquist wrote:

>> foo=bar...", that sort of thing?
>
> No I just meant each line in the list file would populate $(INPUT_LINE)
> (or whatever variable you pick) for that particular job.
>
> Having multiple variables per line is an interesting idea too...

Sounds like you might have missed the point:

job myjob1 myjob.sub
vars myjob1 outfile=myjob1.out stdout=myjob1.stdout
job myjob2 myjob.sub
vars myjob2 outfile=myjob2.out stdout=myjob2.stdout

is the condor_submit_dag file format. When I need to run a batch and
give the output files sensible names -- which is what the original
complaint was IIRC -- I submit is as a DAG specifically because of that.
There may be downsides to it, but the basic functionality already
exists: you can specify command line arguments, filenames, whatever. It
just takes a second submit file and the _sumbit_dag rather than plain
_submit.

And then the thread diverged into the interesting ideas like "I want a
globbing syntax that would do the right thing for users who can't glob"
and "condor submit doesn't scale, that's bad unless it's a dag in which
case it's ok" etc...

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin