Re: [HTCondor-users] Scratch space and input subdirectories

From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/17/2016 03:43 PM

> If your PreCmd creates a subdirectory $(Process), you could add
>
>    remote_initialdir = $(Process)
>
> in your submit file to achieve what you want.

I tried that as well and it didn't work, so I thought the problem was that the directory had to exist before the PreCmd ran, but I didn't examine the hold message closely enough:

  98.0   pelletm         2/17 14:25 Error from slot2@condor1: Failed to execute '/var/lib/condor/execute/dir_600967/condor_exec.exe' with arguments 600: Cannot access initial working directory "case= 1" (errno=2: 'No such file or directory')

Note the space. I had the INT directive specified with a space after the comma, like so:

CASENUM = $(Process) + 1
CASEDIR = case=$INT(CASENUM, %d)
remote_initialdir = $(CASEDIR)

Spaces after commas and around plus signs make me happier, I'm funny that way. But that gave a string of "case= 1" instead of "case=1" as the hold message was trying to explain. Once I changed it to $INT(CASENUM,%d) it works, and the ssh to the job places me in the working directory of the executable, $TMPDIR/case=1.

Thanks! It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a note of these little caveats in the manual - for instance $$([$(Process)+1]) can't have spaces either.

        -Michael Pelletier.