Re: [HTCondor-users] why does htcondor change sysctl params, and why is this done outside of /etc/sysctl.{d, conf} ?

On 1/14/16 3:02 PM, Tom Downes wrote:
> I've already fired this particular warning shot but I appreciate the cover
> fire.

:)

I skimmed past your post the first time through so me mentioning Puppet
as an example really was coincidental. Still, the caution applies to
anything making changes to system areas, not just Condor. It's easy to
wreck something without realizing that it's been wrecked until the next
time you try to reboot the system -- at which point it may not be
obvious which of several dozen changes is responsible. This is
especially true today what with the "push it out the door and fix it in
production" mentality along with the near-zero downtime demands that
frequently accompany that mentality.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science