Re: [HTCondor-users] alternative scratch directory?

Hi Todd,

condor_tail works fine, but it has the limitations of stdout. When I asked for an alternative scratch dir, it was because of my
users might need to inspect big binary files  while they are being generated. Big here means many MB.
Also there is the requirement that the users would like to inspect their big  files after the job runs, even the job is killed by condor_rm or whatever.
And they might want to inspect them while the job is running using tools that may not be available in the worker nodes.

BTW, the nodes where these jobs run already mount a shared disk space that users can see. If the users can see their files while the job is running, they
can use their tools, even Windows specific ones.

I have tried with 'remote_initialdir'. However, the job is still running in the node scratch dir. In my tests, I've seen
 - if job is writing one file in addition to stdout, stdout was going in the node scratch dir and the additional file was going into my declared remote_initialdir;
 - if the job was writing more than one output file, one file was going in my remote dir, and the other seemd lost.

I used something like

executable              = sleep0.sh
remote_initialdir       = /users/myhome/remotedir.test/scratch
log                     = job.log
output                  = outfile0.txt
error                   = errors0.txt
should_transfer_files   = IF_NEEDED
#when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT_OR_EVICT
transfer_input_files    = sleep0.sh
#transfer_output_files  = s.out, s1.out
queue

I tried a few variations on the commented lines, when came to no conclusion.

Sorry, if confusing.

Thanks, raul