Re: [HTCondor-users] What happens to x509* job attributes when Condor drops GCT?

You should distinguish authorization vs. credentials for payload use-case.

Missing GSI support in HTCondor 10 (or earlier HTCondor releases in OSG 3.6) means you must use SCITOKEN for job submission, but that doesn't prevent you to pass X.509 proxy via standard x509userproxy job submission parameter. This is what ATLAS [1] use for production job submission (and most probably "all grid users" also still rely on X.509 for job payload).

x509* classAd attributes will be available till we fully migrate to tokens and completely drop X.509 even for job payload. There is good chance that ATLAS will not drop X.509 till the end of Run3 (2026), in our software (Rucio, FTS, ...) token support is so basic that it currently makes no sense to use it (safely) in production, site services (e.g. storage) are not yet ready for tokens and some storage implementations still don't even pass all our compliance tests. There may be also changes in the job submission token content (e.g. currently ATLAS and CMS tokens doesn't provide same claims).

There were several OSG workshops where OSG/HTCondor team presented GSI-free HTCondor, but may be it was not sufficiently advertised to non-OSG sites what exactly dropping Globus support from HTCondor means. Also OSG promised to come with documentation and examples how to use tokens "correctly" for job routing, but as far as I know this still doesn't exists ... most probably not important topic, because anyway everybody use X.509 proxy for payload.

Personally I still rely on x509* classAds for job routing even for jobs submitted with tokens.

Petr

[1] https://indico.cern.ch/event/1115413/contributions/4708335/attachments/2384202/4074331/Token_S%26C_220203-1.pdf