[condor-users] dedicated resources vs. testing mode

I noticed that condor_config contains the following example settings that allow jobs to start on a machine and run to completion, regardless of the state of the machine:

TESTINGMODE_WANT_SUSPEND = False
TESTINGMODE_WANT_VACATE = False
TESTINGMODE_START = True
TESTINGMODE_SUSPEND = False
TESTINGMODE_CONTINUE = True
TESTINGMODE_PREEMPT = False
TESTINGMODE_KILL = False
TESTINGMODE_PERIODIC_CHECKPOINT = False
TESTINGMODE_PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS = False
TESTINGMODE_PREEMPTION_RANK = 0

These settings are nearly identical to those recommended in Section 3.10.10 for configuring machines to be dedicated resources, with the exception of START and RANK (I've omitted extra parameters such as setting DedicatedScheduler and STARD_EXPRS):

START = Scheduler =?= $(DedicatedScheduler)
SUSPEND = False
CONTINUE = True
PREEMPT = False
KILL = False
WANT_SUSPEND = False
WANT_VACATE = False
RANK = Scheduler =?= (DedicatedScheduler)

The only real differences I can see between these two settings are:

1) The testing mode settings allow any job to be launched on that machine and will run that job to completion

2) The dedicated resource settings identify which machines are configured to be dedicated resources and will only launch jobs that request dedicated resources onto those machines.

If I want all machines in my entire cluster to be set up as dedicated resources, is one better than the other?

Thanks.

--
Hahn Kim
MIT Lincoln Laboratory    Phone: (781) 981-0940

Condor Support Information: