Re: [condor-users] Myrinet - similar problem

Michael,

>> I have recently installed Condor on a Beowulf cluster to do
>> workload management on the nodes. The central manager is on the
>> front end. If the nodes are all busy but there are more jobs in the
>> queue I want them to flock to another Condor pool. The problem is
>> that the nodes on the beowulf are in a different IP address space
>> than the rest of the computers here. The central manager on the
>> front end is configured to use the NIC on the network of the nodes
>> of the cluster. But in order to flock to a different pool outside
>> of the beowulf it would have to use a different NIC.
>>
>> So I am also looking for a way to make the central manager of
>> Condor communicate over two NICs. Does anyone know how to configure
>> it like that?

Sure, we do it here.  This works for Red Hat Linux 7.2/7.3.

First, set up your Central Manager (CM) to use the IP address of the
outside network:

NETWORK_INTERFACE = cm.outside.ip.address

Then all you need is a little routing magic...

On the Beowulf nodes, set up a static route to the CM:

/sbin/route add -host cm.outside.ip.address eth0

What this does is avoid any routing and just dump packets destined for
the CM onto the local network.  As long as the second NIC on the CM is
on the same network segment as the Beowulf nodes it will accept the
packets, even though they will have the IP address of the first NIC.

Then, on the CM, use iptables to complete the process:

/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -p all -j ACCEPT

Where you would replace the "192.168.0.0/24" with whatever the correct
netmask is for your Beowulf cluster.  What this does is make sure that
traffic destined for your Beowulf cluster is sent out on the second
NIC even though it will have the IP address of the first NIC.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Daniel K. Forrest	Laboratory for Molecular and
forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx	Computational Genomics