Re: [Gems-users] Physical Memory Parameters

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:44:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Physical Memory Parameters
> Could someone please tell me what the parameters
> g_MEMORY_MODULE_BITS / g_MEMORY_MODULE_BLOCKS refer
> to?

These are derived from g_MEMORY_SIZE_BYTES at runtime in
ruby/config/RubyConfig.C:

  g_MEMORY_MODULE_BITS = g_MEMORY_SIZE_BITS - g_DATA_BLOCK_BITS -
g_NUM_MEMORIES_BITS;
  g_MEMORY_MODULE_BLOCKS = (int64(1) << g_MEMORY_MODULE_BITS);

It says how many blocks of memory are in each CacheMemory instance (or
each Directory/Memory controller).  By default, the number of memory
modules is equal to the number of processors.  But you can simulate an
arbitrary number of modules if you wanted.

> Also does the variable g_MEMORY_SIZE_BYTES refer also
> to the dram capacity installed in the system?

Yes.