Re: [Gems-users] Memory leak?

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:32:29 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Memory leak?
Yes, I've seen the same behavior.

We don't know of any memory leaks in GEMS.  I've run Valgrind/Purify on
Ruby before and didn't find any leaks.

It may be due to Ruby's profiler that continues to gather statistics and
build histograms.  We have not had time to study how these structures grow
with simulation time.  I think the best way to measure this is to add code
to periodically check the sizes of the various data structures.  Its been
on my long-term TODO list.

I suspect that Simics resident memory usage grows as more of the target
memory and disk is accessed.  Simics contains its own memory manager and
usually caps the amount of resident memory used however.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but you are not alone in seeing this
behavior.  It hasn't been problematic enough for me to personally look
into.

--Mike