Re: [Gems-users] Memory leak?

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:29:26 -0500
From: Milo Martin <milom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Memory leak?
Ruby uses an internal sparse representation of the memory that is lazily allocated when a memory locations is first accessed. Even if Ruby is set not to track the actual data values, it still tracks any per-block state in memory (such as directory state). Once a memory location is touched, Ruby will never deallocate the memory it allocated. If data values are not being tracked, one could modify Ruby to deallocate memory of blocks in a particular state, but doing so would be non-trivial in my opinion.

- Milo