Re: [Gems-users] (no subject)

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:10:20 +0100
From: nikolaos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] (no subject)
Hi again,

paths are not the problem. They seem to be in order. I did a verbose make and
the last output I get is:

Updating goal targets....
Considering target file `build-device'.
 File `build-device' does not exist.
  Considering target file
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics-2.2.17/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so'.
   File `/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics-2.2.17/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so' does
not exist.
    Considering target file `exportmap.elf'.
     Finished prerequisites of target file `exportmap.elf'.
    No need to remake target `exportmap.elf'.
    Considering target file `ruby.o'.
     Looking for an implicit rule for `ruby.o'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `ruby'.
     Trying implicit prerequisite `ruby.c'.
     Found prerequisite `ruby.c' as VPATH
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/ruby.c'
     Trying rule prerequisite
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/Makefile'.
     Found an implicit rule for `ruby.o'.
      Pruning file
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/ruby.c'.
      Considering target file
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/Makefile'.
      File `/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/Makefile' was
considered already.
      Pruning file `/home/nikolas/sparc/simics/src/extensions/ruby/ruby.c'.
     Finished prerequisites of target file `ruby.o'.
    Giving up on target file `ruby.o'.
   Finished prerequisites of target file
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics-2.2.17/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so'.
  Giving up on target file
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics-2.2.17/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so'.
 Finished prerequisites of target file `build-device'.
Giving up on target file `build-device'.
Reaping losing child 0x0808da10 PID 26661
make[1]: *** [ruby] Error 2
Removing child 0x0808da10 PID 26661 from chain.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/media/gems/programs/sparc/simics-2.2.17/x86-linux/lib'
Reaping losing child 0x08094140 PID 26650
make: *** [all] Error 2

Regards,
Nikolas

Quoting Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>:

> The problem seems to be due to *where* the build process is looking for
> the object files:
>
> /home/nikolas/gems/programs/sparc/simics/../ruby/x86-linux/generated//obj/
>
> Notice the double /. It *should* be looking in
> x86-linux/generated/[PROTOCOL]/obj, but obviously the protocol string
> appears to be blank. I don't think this is an Ubuntu problem or a gcc
> problem, but something going wrong somewhere in the Makefiles.
>
> Are you properly defining the PROTOCOL Makefile variable on the command
> line?
>
> The path above is specified by ruby's module makefile, in
> gems/ruby/module/Makefile. Can you verify that the paths are correctly
> set for Simics 2.2.17 in that file? It would seem that, somehow, the
> definition of PROTOCOL is not surviving to reach that makefile.
>
> Regards,
> Dan
>
> nikolaos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I did eliminate the symlinks. No change noticed.
> > The obj directory exists in MOSI_SMP_bcast directory and is full of object
> files
> > while the make is happening, but it is being removed at the end of the
> process.
> >
> > Quoting Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>:
> >

> >> I assume then that there are object files in a subdirectory of
> >> $GEMS/ruby/x86-linux?
> >> Try eliminating those symlinks and recompile.

> >> Ubuntu

> >> something

> be

> Otherwise,

/home/nikolas/gems/programs/sparc/simics/../ruby/x86-linux/generated//obj/*.o:

> append

> >> am

> >> haven't

> the

/home/nikolas/gems/programs/sparc/simics/x86-linux/obj/include/simics/module_id.c