Re: [Gems-users] ruby results

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:23:57 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] ruby results
That is the expected functionality. By default, the snoop interface (aka the observe memory function) is not installed.

This is getting stranger and stranger.

You can try adding more printf's throughout Ruby's hierarchy to see where the operate memory function is returning from. You might want to check the memory_transaction_t's->s.may_stall value -- If may_stlal is consistently set to 0, then that would be the root of the problem.

Regards,
Dan

Dave Z. wrote:
Operate memory function was called many times, but
observe memory function was not called at all.

--- Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
    Add a printf("foo\n") to ruby's simics/commands.C
in the operate memoryfunction and the observe memory
function and recompile. If Ruby isreceiving requests,
there should be a lot of foo's printed.

Dave Z. wrote:
simics> phys_mem.infoInformation about phys_mem [class
memory-space]===============================================
                 Snoop device : none
Timing model : ruby0Dave.--- Dan Gibson
<degibson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Try the following after
ruby0.init:phys_mem0.infophys_mem.infoWhat does Simics
print?Dave Z. wrote:

Yes, the SIMICS_VERSION is set to 3.0 and theGEMS_ROOT
is "..", which is fine. After loading

Ruby,

Simics runs very fast as if Ruby is not working

(which

is true because the results are zero).Thanks,Dave---
Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you change the SIMICS_VERSION settings
inMakefile.simics_version and did you change the
GEMS_ROOT setting in the

two

module makefiles? After changing, you must perform a
full

recompile.

Dave Z. wrote:

I'm using the -stall option when I'm starting

Simics.

But the results are all zero. In my benchmarks,

I'm

using processor_bind to bind a thread to a

processor.

For example, the layout of my benchmarks are
asfollows:Thread0 (assigned to
cpu0)MAGIC_BREAKPOINT;...Thread1 (assigned to
cpu1)...MAGIC_BREAKPOINT;So, when Thread0 reaches the
breakpoint, I load

ruby

and when Thread1 reaches the breakpoint, I dump

the

ruby stats. But the results I get are all zero.

The

Simics ouput is as follows:simics> c[cpu0]
v:0x0000000000011184 p:0x001fdefd184

magic

(sethi 0x40000, %g0)Setting new inspection cpu:
cpu0simics> load-module rubysuccessful installation of
the ruby timing

model.

simics> ruby0.initRuby Timing ModeWarning:
optimizations not enabled.Creating event
queue...Creating event queue doneCreating system...
Processors: 2Creating system doneRuby initialization
completesimics> c[cpu1] v:0x00000000000130c0
p:0x001d68130c0

magic

(sethi 0x40000, %g0)Setting new inspection cpu:
cpu1simics> cThis used to work with GEMS 1.3 and
Simics

2.2.19.

Is

there any ideas why it doesn't work with
Simics3.0.22?Thanks a lot!--- Dan Gibson