Resloved: [Condor-users] Invalid user: root

Thanks,

I did have a condor user created; for some reason it didn't recognize it by default, but using '--owner condor' works fine. The documentation was perhaps a little unclear to me on this issue. It was clear that I should install Condor with root permissions, but it wasn't clear how one went about that. I knew that if I installed as an unprivileged user it obviously wouldn't have root permissions, but then the documentation said that the --owner flag was only valid for root installations. Silly me thought the --owner flag was a way to specify permissions other than root during a root installation, not that it specified an alternate user that Condor would run as when root access was not necessary.

Thanks again for your incredibly prompt response,
Trevor

Alain Roy wrote:

Unable to find the user to run Condor daemons as. Please specify it using the --owner option

Now, I want Condor to run daemons as root, so I try:

./condor_configure --owner=root

And I get back:

Invalid user: root

Condor will run as root, but it prefers to do most operations as non-root, and only switch to the root user for things that must be done as root. This is for security.

You are selecting the non-root user that it will switch to. Many people create a 'condor' user on their system. condor_configure selects the condor user or the daemon user or nothing if it can't find either one. I'm surprised that you don't have the daemon user on your system--is that really the case? If not, the condor_configure may have a bug.

-alain