Re: [Condor-users] Running jobs as nobody on all machines

Hello,

That's a problem if you're setting UID_DOMAIN to the hostname to
force jobs to always run as user nobody. I'm wondering whether they
could just set the same UID_DOMAIN on all machines (possibly with
SOFT_UID_DOMAIN) to always run the jobs as the submitting user.

Unfortunatelly, machines dont have same uids for users. Some users are not even created on some machines. We cannot change this, so setting same UID_DOMAIN is not an option. Also, jobs can be started by different users and should still access same files (this eliminates SOFT_UID_DOMAIN solution).
That's why executing jobs as user nobody would be ideal solution for us.

I dont' have to make sure it works, but try putting in your config
file

UID_DOMAIN = $(FULL_HOSTNAME)
SCHEDD.UID_DOMAIN = submitpoint.$(FULL_HOSTNAME)

Excellent idea. I was wondering if there's a way to trick Condor daemons.

Unfortunatelly, it doesn't work. Schedd is advertised as submitpoint.$(FULL_HOSTNAME), but job is still executed as a local user on submit machine. Here's what I found in StarterLog:
12/8 23:47:32 Communicating with shadow <SubmitHostIP:46785>
12/8 23:47:32 Submitting machine is "$(FULL_HOSTNAME)" Seems that Condor relies on information from IP address for finding out UID_DOMAIN. I even tried setting TRUST_UID_DOMAIN options, but job still got executed as local user.

I still don't understand why doesn't the solution recommended in documentation (unsetting UID_DOMAIN) work?

Thanks for suggestions,
emir