Re: [Condor-users] any submit file generators

Ryan,
This exact feature, a customizable form-based, or plug-in framework
for users to specify their own submission generators, is in our next
release of CycleServer. This sounds like a good fit for your use case.
I'd love to talk with you about this so we can make sure we meet your
requirements. I'll e-mail you personally to follow up.

Best,
Jason

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Ryan Lewis <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah,
>
> I fully understand that idea. I am thinking something that will
> essentially generate basic submit files, and if it is AJAX based it
> could have the ability for free editing built right in.
>
> - Ryan
>
> On Aug 5, 2008, at 8:36 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>

>> On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Ryan Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> I do the same thing, but the idea here is let them get an account and
>>> be on there own until they ask for help.
>>>
>>> I don't understand why there isn't a a pre-existing project (maybe on
>>> sourceforge) for such a file generator.... Maybe we could start one?
>>> It seems like the basics have been covered by simple web forms, I
>>> think a proper AJAX based system could be constructed with the help
>>> of
>>> others...
>>
>> I think part of the problem is that submit files are so application
>> specific.  If you have a particular application in mind, it's not hard
>> to write a script that will plug in the right input and output files,
>> etc., but for more general use and more complex jobs the files quickly
>> get different enough that you'd have to already understand the file
>> syntax to know what to put into the web form.
>>
>> I prefer to have my users get used to writing their own submit files
>> for their early, simple jobs, so they have something to build from
>> when they want to do more complicated stuff later.
>>
>> That's just my opinion, though.  If you've got a good vision for how
>> you want your system to work, I don't want to discourage you from
>> pursuing it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> David Brodbeck
>> System Administrator, Linguistics
>> University of Washington

>> The archives can be found at:
>> https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/

> The archives can be found at:

Jason A. Stowe
cell: 607.227.9686
main: 888.292.5320

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Condor Grid Solutions
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com