Re: [Condor-users] Getting 6.8.6 for Solaris 9?

> So far I've only been able to look at an ESX Server version
> 2.5.1, which does
> have some of the capabilities that VM Universe needs (the
> script is called
> vmware-cmd, instead of vmrun [which I take to be the norm on
> Linux anyway]).

I replied to your email yesterday about getting you a newer version of
ESX server but the message bounced back. Just sent it again to your
Wisconsin address.

> Unfortunately, it does not seem to support snapshots from the
> command line,
> which is rather crippling to the VM Universe, as it does not
> allow for the
> differences to be sent back to the submit-host.  But if you
> don't need that
> functionality, then that's irrelevant.

That's unfortunate. Does that mean you can't migrate a running condor VM
universe session? That you'd lose forward progress?

> The version I looked at will also need to have mkisofs added,
> as VM Universe
> uses this to simulate input files as CD-ROM images.  It may take some
> experimenting, but I don't see any reason why it would not
> work on an ESX
> server, if one were to consider all the VMs on it as
> pre-stanged (instead of
> transferring them as part of the job, which is also an
> option). Fortunately the
> interface logic for VM Universe has been off-loaded to a Perl
> script, so any
> modification that are required would most likely go there.

Sounds good. Thanks for looking this.

> Hope that helps.

It does. It's always easier if the first pass is done by you guys in
Wisconsin. Thanks!

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.  This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.