Re: [Condor-users] 7.0.3 Debian 4 dynamic clipped?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:29:41AM +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:00:56PM -0500, David A. Kotz wrote:
> > I downloaded condor-7.0.3-linux-x86-debian40-dynamic.tar.gz for
> > installation under Ubuntu 8.x.  The condor_compile script consists of:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Is this intended?  Should I download a different version to be able to
> > condor_compile?  Apologies if I missed an announcement to that effect,
> > but I didn't see it in the changelogs nor on the list.
>
> Full support for Etch is still not ready. I hope it will be when Etch
> becomes obsolete^oldstable, and I'd be very happy if (full) Lenny support
> would happen not too long after.
>
> For the time being, the RHEL3 binaries seem to be compatible enough
> (you'll have to install libstdc++5)

Something I forgot (I somehow neglected the Ubuntu part):

With newer Ubuntus, you should go and get all (dynamic) Linux packages
matching your architecture, unpack them temporarily, and run "ldd" over
selected binaries, or run "condor_version" to find whether your glibc
is supported (Debian Etch and RHEL5 don't match, for example). Then
choose the most "recent" "officially supported" distro that has standard
universe support.

My guess: RHEL5/CentOS5 should be close.

And, of course, please report so we can remember in the future :)

Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/