Re: [Condor-users] greedy users

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Mag Gam<magawake@xxxxxxxxx>; wrote:
> 20 jobs will be running the 10 will be in the queue.
> If I increase the quota to 25, and run "condor_restart -subsystem
> negotiator " 5 more jobs go in which sums to 25 jobs running.
> If I downgrade the quota back to 20, "condor_restart -subsystem
> negotiator ", when the next job finishes it should NOT sent any more
> jobs into the pool, but it does. So basically downgrading does not
> work.

Downgrading quotas does work, we use it in many environments. Try adding:
CLAIM_WORKLIFE = 1
to your execute node configuration (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.2/3_3Configuration.html#17326), or alternately run:
condor_vacate_job Cluster.ProcToBeStopped

Condor performs match-making between submitters of jobs and execute slots to run jobs. Matches or claims between a scheduler and an execute node can run many jobs in order to minimize the amount of negotiation done to run jobs. If claims between a scheduler and execute slot are valid when a job ends, the scheduler will give another job to the slot. Group quota affects the number of resource claims / matches for a given accounting group. In your case, I suspect the "Claim" between the scheduler and the execute machine is still valid when the job terminates, so the scheduler is giving the execute node more jobs. Setting CLAIM_WORKLIFE to 1 second will invalidate claims after a single job executes, as will running condor_vacate to vacate the slot.

At that point, your new, lower quota will kick-in.

> Another point:
> If i have 30 people in my physics department, it seems I can't set an
> individual's quota. For example, "Dale", "Bob", and "Sue" are in the
> physics group. I would like to give Dale max of 10 slots, Sue 20
> slots, Bob 25 slots.
>
> Any thoughts?

Give them their own accounting group: g_dale, g_bob, g_sue. However, it might be better to use fair-share within the group, so that "Sue" will take advantage of the processors when "Dale" is not using them.

Regards,
Rob

--

Rob Futrick

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Condor Grid Solutions
Enterprise Condor Support and CycleServer Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com