From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kevin.Buckley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 4 February 2011 2:00 PM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Help with ClassAd syntax: offset $(process)
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter,

> I have tried $$([Process + 1]) and it doesn't replace anything. I even

> tried $$([TARGET.Memory * 0.9]) as in the example and it doesn't
> replace anything. Maybe it only works with Arguments and not
TransferInputFiles.

Because it's interesting I played with it. (tm)

I mostly saw the same as you reported, messages about being unable to
parse the expressions I was trying to use. I also tried the $$(MY.ProcId
+1]) suggested by someone else - no joy.

A "wild guess" has, however, allowed me to achieve what you want, I
think - deep joy!

Instead of trying to programatically branch on the $(Process) macro, you
can simply explicity list the offset file(s) you want, eg

=========================
usual guff

TransferInputFiles=1.txt
arguments=something
queue

TransferInputFiles=2.txt
arguments=something else
queue
=========================

Note that there are two requests to queue single tasks but after the
first, you overide default, or previously overidden, variables.

The above will thus queue TWO $(Process)es in the SAME $(Cluster), the
first one is  Process/ProcId = 0 the second  Process/ProcId = 1

however the files that get transfered to each $(Process) are what you
tell the Condor to transfer.

My remote "program" just did a simple environment echo and directory
listing and I saw (most lines binned for clarity) the following

CONDOR_CLUSTER=102690
CONDOR_PROCESS=0

04/02/2011  04:06 p.m.                 6 1.txt
04/02/2011  04:06 p.m.                70 condor_exec.bat

and

CONDOR_CLUSTER=102690
CONDOR_PROCESS=1

04/02/2011  04:06 p.m.                 7 2.txt
04/02/2011  04:06 p.m.                70 condor_exec.bat

Rather simple, really.

Ok, for a whopping great number of jobs it is going to be a lot of
typing but I guess you can come up with something that will
automatically produce what you need to tag onto the "usual guff" to
achieve the desired effect.

If you do get the $(Process) macro subst working, do let me know.
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971