Re: [HTCondor-users] change to condor_submit - user feedback desired! (was Re: multiple condor_submit's - one cluster)

On 2/10/2015 2:07 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 02/10/2015 01:43 PM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

...  I
think I will focus first on the details for the ability of condor_submit
to scan the filesystem and do a submit for each file

I still don't get why not just use VARS from condor_submit_dag: it seems
to me that VARS substitution, other than $(cluster) and $(process) is
what's really missing here -- and even then there's $ENV(). Once there's
VARS, a condor_submit_many wrapper that scans the filesystem should take
about 5 minutes to write. Or I am missing the point entirely, I do that
often enough too.

Conceptually you are correct.  However, consider when you do something like
    input = in.$(process)
    queue 1000
The above requires the system to perform just one fork/exec, create just one network connection, perform authentication (schedd authenticate the condor_submit user) once, perform just one fsync to disk, etc. On the other hand, invoking condor_submit 1000 times with "queue 1" results in 1000 fsyncs, 1000 authentications, etc. Doing any kind of wrapper that invokes condor_submit (in its current form) for each single job would be unfortunate from a scalability perspective...

thanks
Todd