Re: [HTCondor-users] bug in schedd_negotiate.cpp - 144-core startd

hi,
i just looked it up. lscpu says we have 8 xeon e7-8895 v3 @ 2.6ghz. i do not count the hyperthreading cpus. its some machine by oracle, if i remember correctly. i could ask the IT department if you need specifics. just let me know.

the machine was not bought or configured by me. our IT department did and according to them the information engineering department needs a machine that provides a massive amount of cores and RAM (2T in this case) in one machine. apparently, they are not using it at the moment so the IT department asked me if i wanted to use it as a HTCondor execute machine. i gladly accepted.

however, you can see that the machine was not designed for the purpose of being an execute machine in an HTCondor pool. if i would configure a setup for it, i would also go for cheaper CPUs and more machines.

if you need any further info, just let me know!
best,
thomas

Am 2015-11-19 um 23:10 schrieb Michael V Pelletier:
"HTCondor-users" <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/19/2015 04:47:13 PM:

> From: Thomas Hartmann <thomas.hartmann@xxxxxxxx>

> Date: 11/19/2015 04:50 PM
>
> hi ben,
> sorry, i was not aware of the ticket. thanks for letting me know!
> best,
> thomas

By the way, Thomas, are these the Xeon E7-8890v3 processors (or 70, or 80) in a four-socket ProLiant, or maybe an SGI UV system?

I - and probably others - would be interested if you could weigh in on the cost/benefit factors that went into your decision to configure the machine that way.

We've been eyeing those 18-core chips, in particular the E5-2699v3 for the HP DL360's and BladeSystems we like to use around here, but the fact that they cost over $6,000 each means that you can usually get the same number of cores more cheaply by using slightly lower density processors in a slightly larger number of systems.

Thanks!

     -Michael Pelletier.

Dr. Thomas Hartmann

Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience
FB Psychologie
Universität Salzburg
Hellbrunnerstraße 34/II
5020 Salzburg

Tel: +43 662 8044 5109
Email: thomas.hartmann@xxxxxxxx

"I am a brain, Watson. The rest of me is a mere appendix. " (Arthur Conan Doyle)