Re: [HTCondor-users] bug in schedd_negotiate.cpp - 144-core startd

> From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 11/20/2015 10:40 AM
>
> On 2015-11-20 09:15, Michael V Pelletier wrote:
>
> > Looks like it must be an Oracle Server X5-8, and those suckers cost so
> > much Oracle won't even give you a price online. The processors alone are
> > probably in the neighborhood of $70-$80,000, and 2TB of memory in 32GB
> > LRDIMMs is another $64,000 list price, so you're already pushing
> > $150,000 before you even start installing all that in the chassis.
>
> Only? A few years ago we wrote off a couple of low-end SGI Altix racks
> that had 12 CPUs each and I think less than a gigabyte of RAM per CPU --
> I forget how little exactly. I believe they were a quarter mil a pop to
> buy...

I used to work on HP PA-RISC Superdomes, so I know exactly where you're
coming from! :-) They had 32 PA-8750 875MHz processors in eight four-socket
"cell boards" and 32GB of RAM - I think they used to cost about a cool
million brand new, and we bought 'em two at a time.

That's a great thing about HTCondor though - it's not picky! We've got an
old two-core desktop with 4GB of RAM under an anti-power-user's desk
that still runs a jobs nights and weekends.

I wonder who has the oldest, crummiest exec node still running jobs?

    -Michael Pelletier.