Re: [HTCondor-users] Any compatibility issue upgrading individual daemons from 8.6.13 to latest?

On 2/8/2021 9:51 AM, jcaballero.hep@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

thanks a lot for the comments.
Yeah, I know the benefits of the schema-less classad architecture. But
you never know if there is something new with the communication
channel itself -rather the content-, that requires all daemons to run
the same version.
Anyways, my main concern is about non-backwards compatibility issues
for any of the daemon. But from the comments I feel there is nothing
to be worried about between 8.6 and latest.
Our configuration is split between condor_config, condor_config.local
and config.d/ That should keep working after an upgrade, right?

Hi Jose,

The system packaging (RPM, DEBs, etc) assume that they control condor_config.  So whenever you do an update, this file could get clobbered.  So keep all of your site configs either in condor_config.local or, even better, in files in config.d/.

Also perhaps of interest:  The HTCondor Manual has a complete Version History section which not only provides what changed at each point release, it also provides a high-level list of things changes that may have implications upon upgrading from one stable series to another.  For instance, here is the part where it talks about going from v8.6.x to v8.8.x :

  https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/version-history/upgrading-from-86-to-88-series.html

Hope the above helps,
Todd