Re: [Gems-users] GARNET TOOL

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:24:25 -0400
From: Niket <niketa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] GARNET TOOL
The g_endpoint_bandwidth was used in the earlier "simple" network. If you are using Garnet, it is redundant. Please remove it from your topology file and it should work fine.

-Niket

hb166307@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I think I can explain my problem a little better now.

In rubyconfig.defaults, I have:
g_endpoint_bandwidth: 10000
g_PROCS_PER_CHIP: 1
g_NUM_PROCESSORS: 1
g_NUM_L2_BANKS: 1
g_NUM_MEMORIES: 1
g_PRINT_TOPOLOGY: true
g_NETWORK_TOPOLOGY: FILE_SPECIFIED
g_CACHE_DESIGN : NUCA

I build the ruby module for MOESI_CMP_token and enter this directory

~/GEMS/simics/targets/MOESI_CMP_token$ ./simics -stall

simics> read-configuration Checkpoints/ftt-bench.check

[A python script runs these command which is in the same directory]

run_command('instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace')
run_command('istc-disable')
run_command('dstc-disable')
run_command('stc-status')
run_command('cpu-switch-time 1')
run_command('load-module ruby')
run_command('ruby0.init')
run_command('continue')

SIMICS OUTPUT

[cpu0 info] Note that on this cpu, instruction-fetch-trace is implemented using
instruction-cache-access-trace with a suitable cache line size.
Turning I-STC off and flushing old data
Turning D-STC off and flushing old data
D-STC is currently *OFF*
I-STC is currently *OFF*
The switch time will change to 1 cycles (for CPU-0) once all processors have
synchronized.
successful installation of the ruby timing model.
Ruby Timing Mode
Creating event queue...
Creating event queue done
Creating system...
  Processors: 1

[This is a cout statement in Topoogy.C to see file name created]
Filename:
../../../ruby/network/simple/Network_Files/NUCA_Procs-1_ProcsPerChip-1_L2Banks-1_Memories-1.txt

failed assertion 'atoi((string_split(varStr, ':')).c_str()) ==
g_endpoint_bandwidth' at fn void Topology::makeFileSpecified() in
network/simple/Topology.C:540
failed assertion 'atoi((string_split(varStr, ':')).c_str()) ==
g_endpoint_bandwidth' at fn void Topology::makeFileSpecified() in
network/simple/Topology.C:540
At this point you might want to attach a debug to the running and get to the
crash site; otherwise press enter to continue
PID: 8421

>From this error, I can not tell where g_endpoint_bandwith is coming from in
Topology.C, which might be why I am getting an assertion error, but I could be
wrong. There was NUCA_Procs-1_ProcsPerChip-1_L2Banks-1_Memories-1.txt in the
Network_Files Folder that was allready in there and when I remove the line
corresponding to

bw_unit: ####

It no longer gives me the error. What effect is this going to have? Sorry for
not being clearer with my problem....

Quoting "Niket Agarwal (niketa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <niketa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

In the GEMS setup you can specify (either in the rubyconfig.defaults
or while running) that you want to use the FILE_SPECIFIED topology
type and the NUCA cache design with a particular number of
processors, processors per chip, L2 banks and Memory banks. The
topology file name is automatically calculated from that.

You do not have to worry about the file name and folder.

Niket