Re: [Gems-users] FILE_SPECIFIED Question?

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:09:39 -0500
From: "Mike Marty" <mike.marty@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] FILE_SPECIFIED Question?

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Niket <niketa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The configuration you have created is a 8 processor system with 2 L2
banks and 2 Routers connecting various components. It does not
necessarily imply a 2-chip configuration. For instance, all these
connections are also valid for a single chip system. The
NUM_PROCS_PER_CHIP controls that. You might also want to use the
appropriate protocol for that.

If you want to use a 2-chip configuration with 4 procs/chip, I believe
you can use the MSI_MOSI_CMP_directory protocol. However, the L2's would
not be unified between the 2-chips. The 2-chips in that case would be
connected by the link between Routers 0 and 1.

I am not sure whether there is a protocol with the GEMS distribution
that lets you use a unified L2 across 2 chips. The GEMS team might
clarify that.

Unless things have changed, the PROCS_PER_CHIP parameter essentially determines how the L2 is split across "chips".  You could set PROCS_PER_CHIP to 8, but then configure your interconnect into two separate regions of higher-bandwidth, lower-latency links.