[Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question

Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:14:05 -0600
From: Pradeep Ramachandran <pramach2@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question
Hi,
I noticed from an old thread <https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2007-August/msg00027.shtml> that users have experienced the problem of elevated simulation times when changing the default clock in the simics system from 75MHz to (more realistic) 2GHz. I am seeing a similar problem when I am trying to simulate a multithreaded server workload.

The message pointed to above says that it is probably ok to evaluate things with the 75MHz clock as the I/O simulation becomes a bottle-neck. However, at 75MHz, the timer interrupts forces a thread switch every 1m instructions or less. Won't that mess with the measurements (of performance and throughput)? Is there any simple method that people use to eliminate errors that may arise because of this?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Pradeep.