Re: [Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:07:56 -0600
From: Pradeep Ramachandran <pramach2@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question

On Feb 7, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Dan Gibson wrote:

The ways of Simics are strange indeed. I have no idea why 75MHz would be blazing fast but 80MHz would be slow. You might try asking on the Simics forum about it.

Thanks Dan. I have posted it on simics.net. I can update this group with what they say once they respond.

There is a higher-level point to consider. Bear in mind with the following comment that I have no idea what you're actually trying to simulate.

I am trying to do fault injections when running simics+gems. I don't need to model timing and such with a high degree of accuracy, but it is important that I functionally simulate all operations of the workload with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

I would advise against simulating a workload that is actually performing I/O when you are taking measurements -- Simics' I/O timing isn't sufficiently realistic, and GEMS does nothing to improve I/O timing from what Simics provides. Instead, set up your workload so that its "I/O operations" are consistently hitting in memory -- either in the file cache or in a loopback device. In other words, make sure you have fully warmed your input sets from disk, and that you're not actually hitting any ethernet devices. Doing so creates a decent proxy for a server busy period, without spending CPU time just spinning in the idle loop (after all, its hard to convince reviewers that optimizing the idle loop is interesting).

But if I am simulating a server workload in a distributed client- server setting, wouldn't I want to make sure that I am having network communication (that is simulated by simics) in my measurement window?

Pradeep.