Re: [Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:52:26 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Change in cpu frequency - question
The ways of Simics are strange indeed. I have no idea why 75MHz would be blazing fast but 80MHz would be slow. You might try asking on the Simics forum about it.

There is a higher-level point to consider. Bear in mind with the following comment that I have no idea what you're actually trying to simulate.

I would advise against simulating a workload that is actually performing I/O when you are taking measurements -- Simics' I/O timing isn't sufficiently realistic, and GEMS does nothing to improve I/O timing from what Simics provides. Instead, set up your workload so that its "I/O operations" are consistently hitting in memory -- either in the file cache or in a loopback device. In other words, make sure you have fully warmed your input sets from disk, and that you're not actually hitting any ethernet devices. Doing so creates a decent proxy for a server busy period, without spending CPU time just spinning in the idle loop (after all, its hard to convince reviewers that optimizing the idle loop is interesting).

Lastly, per my previous comment in the cited thread, its OK to run with 75 MHz checkpoints, so long as your workload isn't doing any I/O. The real benefit of having a higher clock frequency is that timer interrupts and spurious I/O interrupts should be a lot less frequent -- but if there aren't any other processes running besides your workload, the effect of the timer firing won't be problematic.

Regards,
Dan