Re: [Condor-users] Core files

> Miskell, Craig wrote:
> > My LOG dir is an NFS mount on the compute nodes (back to a central
> > server, for ease of management).  I've double checked, and
> there's no
> > core files in any of those directories; I wouldn't have
> thought being an
> > NFS mount would stop core files being generated, but would
> welcome any
> > suggestions to the contrary.
> >

> Hmmm....  if you have root squash activated on the nfs mount on the
> volume with your LOG directory, that could be the culprit.
>
> Dropping a core file still requires proper permissions.  The
> core file
> is being written as user "root" by the startd since you started the
> master as root -- but if root squash is on, then it won't have
> permission (unless you are keeping your LOG directory with
> world write
> access!!).

Oh bugger.  Yes, of course root_squash is on.  Quite deliberately for
general security reasons; in fact, the system is so secure, it's not
working ;-)

Chocolate fish for you Todd; thanks for pointing out what should have
been fairly obvious.  I'll drop the root_squash for long enough to catch
some core files, unless there's some way to push the core files to some
other directory.

Thanks again,
Craig

sender immediately.