Re: [Condor-users] VM Universe in Windows Condor 7.0.0: update

Thanks Ben and Jaeyoung for your help.

I just thought I would share my experiences so far with using Windows XP
virtual machines under VMWare, in case they help others attempting the
same thing:
   1. I managed to get the job to run on the VM off a CD ISO file, but
could not make autoplay work.
   2. Instead of using autoplay, in order to launch the job, I had to
configure the VM to add a scheduled task, launched once only on system
startup and running as user "condor", that kicked off the job by
explicitly running a batch file on the CD.
   3. In order to shut down the VM at the end of the job, I had to
install the "shutdown" utility from
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/shutdown.zip (link copied from page
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shutcut.php). Using the built in Windows
shutdown utility was not sufficient: it fails to shut down the VM
completely, preventing the Condor job from terminating.
   4. It seems not to be necessary to have Condor installed on the VM.

Any comments or further advice would be welcome!

Regards,

Malcolm Wilkins