Re: [Condor-users] Quill Question

I'll nod in agreement at Steve Timm's comments earlier.

To add to the discussion: we experienced scaling issues at Purdue with a central quill database, (a dual xeon E5410, 16 GB RAM, 14-drive RAID-10 for postgres) and eventually got the database to withstand the number of clients, but the real pain came if a quilld got behind doing updates..

We couldn't vacuum postgres enough (so the DB grew endlessly), postgres would deadlock, and with updates falling behind, the usefulness was limited. It did get better, in some cases: UW found a couple bottlenecks that did improve some issues considerably.

It really turned into a postgres tuning exercise, and in the end I elected not to become an DBA or move to Oracle, so we've stopped spending time on it.

Part way through the project, I talked about our experiences last year at Condor Week:
    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/CondorWeek2008/condor_presentations/smith_quill.ppt

best of luck!

-Preston